Monday 6 June 2011

Rag Dolls

I realised yesterday that I need to have a bit more of a systematic approach to my blog and the posts! Reading through previous posts, I saw that I had given one a title including the word dolls - and nothing about dolls in it, so I'm going to rectify that right now!

This photo on the left was taken last summer - during Cowes Week. I had made this rag doll for my niece - Maisie; this comes from another Step by Step workshop, this time the tutor was Julia Davis, one of the owners of the shop. The pattern was very easy to follow - and the bloomers extremely easy to make (so much so I've made lots of pairs, and adapted them to trousers). Julia suggested sewing the bloomers to the doll, but I knew that I wanted a rag doll who could be dressed and undressed - and then came the decision to make a rag doll for Maisie - and clothe it too! I've not made clothes before, so this was another new challenge for me. The clothes that the doll is wearing here is a dress that I invented - I changed the style of the skirt (it has a sort of kick-pleat affair at the back, but starting from the bodice), the sleeves were straight rather than being gathered. She has a pair of red bloomers, and a red petticoat under the dress. I also provided her with another pair of trousers and another petticoat. The additional petticoat has a waistband attached. I saw great potential in making dolls clothes, and so set about buying (yet more) fabric that would be suitable for clothes - making something a bit more glamourous. I've started on some ballgown / party dresses in satin - gold with holographic spots, pink with holographic spots, lilac / lavender, and lavender trousers in satin / silk type thing. I'd like to make a jacket with a chinese collar as well, but haven't got quite that far yet. This year for Maisie's birthday I sent down some more clothes for the doll:
I was particularly pleased with this dress. No, I didn't cut and sew all the strips onto black fabric - the fabric came like it already (thank goodness!). I used red broderie anglaise for the sleeves and bodice, and put shirring elastic round the edge of the sleeves. I added a belt, and both the belt and the bodice have press studs to do them up. I also made bloomers and trousers to go with the outfit (I think I sent them both down, although I could be wrong!):

With the bloomers I added shirring elastic around the bottom edge (but a little bit up), to give the appearance of old fashioned bloomers - all that is missing is a little mop cap! (or is it a mob cap? I'm too young to know!)

I love the look of broderie anglaise - it's so feminine and pretty.

The hair for the doll was made from wool, and it was chunky, with 2 'strands' of darker wool, and 1 of the lighter. I spent time unraveling the lighter wool, which gives the wavy appearance. The darker wool has not been wasted. I've used it on my own rag doll (the one made at the workshop), and her hair looks a bit like dreadlocks - it's quite thick.

Going through my photos of projects, deciding which pictures to upload and show on here, I have realised that I don't have any photos of my first rag doll - or any of the clothes I've made for her; I'll remedy that later.

Thanks to Kath for the comment on the last post - and Kath - I will CERTAINLY show pictures of the box I'm currently making, but you are going to have to wait about a month for the photos. It is a policy of mine not to show pictures of WIPs (works in progress) if they are being made as a gift for someone. I only post photos of such projects once the recipient has received the gift! I remember a pupil saying that he had seen my official wedding photos (he was the nephew of our photographer), and I was a bit put out by that; it didn't help that he shouted it out in a lesson!

I've posted a question on facebook - doing a bit of market reasearch, as to how much people would be prepared to pay for a handmade A4 memory box. Any followers or others reading the blog - I'd like to know what your view is on this. How much would you be prepared to pay for a memory box like the ones shown in my earlier posts? Each box is an original - no two will EVER be the same (even if I tried to make them so, I wouldn't manage it!)

Until next time, happy sewing / quilting / crafting

2 comments:

Kath said...

I would like to see pics of the wedding party as well.
My friend Linda got married in purple and all the guests dressed in purple, lilac and black. For a January wedding, it was perfect against the grey skies.
I was very interested in your doll, I have never made one as big as that, her clothes are charming.

Sylve said...

When my children were very young - 45 years ago, or thereabouts - I made each of them a clown which was about 36" high; there was no money in those days so the body was made from old sheeting. Each clown had strped trousers, braces and loops of woollen hair. The pattern came, I think, from a women's magazine. I wonder what happened to them???