Wednesday 20 February 2008

Great Aunt Christine

I thought I'd add a quick post today before getting on with the school work that I've been putting off for some time. I've let Caro know about her quilt, and she wasn't very happy - she probably thinks that I'm not as far on with it as I am - I'm going to take the quilt and the label up to show them on Friday, so that she can see it and see the progress.
So, the title - Great Aunt Christine - I did a bit of picture organisation yesterday so that I have all my photos on my laptop. In October 2005 I became a Great Aunt - Keith's (and my) neice gave birth to a baby boy called George. I offered to make a quilt for him, and the offer wsa accepted. I used a pattern that I had made twice already, called Bright Eyes, that was in a copy of Patchwork and Quilting magazine back in about 2001 / 2002. It's a great pattern that allows you to showcase the 'special' or 'conversational' fabric. With the wide range of fabrics available, the only problem is trying to decide which fabrics to use - or rather - which you are going to (reluctantly) leave out! I chose bright colours - not due to the title of the quilt, but because I don't do pastels! - except in special cases. I understand that bright colours help babies to ... - that they are good for them in some way. I used different conversational fabrics, so that later George can use the quilt to learn words for different things - I suppose a bit like an 'I Spy' quilt. With the number of strips I had, I was able to make a cushion as well - and use the other conversational fabrics which I hadn't included in the quilt. I used the sewing machine to piece and quilt the piece - using my Elna 6005 Heirloom Edition. What follows are the pictures of the pieces, the label, and my great nephew and me!

No comments: