Tuesday 12 February 2008

The Start

This is the start of my patchwork blog. I shall be adding things as they occur to me, and as I'm doing the work. I won't be posting my ideas here; I'm going to be selfish with my ideas and keep them with me only, until I have realised them in patchwork - I don't want others pinching my ideas - although I doubt that any of them are totolly original. Still, I like to think that they are. And besides which, the work that I produce may not live up to your expectations of it if I tell you my ideas first.
The first item I'm going to show you is the piece that I produced at the weekend, during a workshop called 'Stitched Herbaceous Borders'. It's a piece that uses the technique of free machine quilting, and is embroidery really. I haven't really done any machine embroidery before, and I have a large variety of quilting threads, but have very few machine embroidery threads - only a few rayon threads, and all of them are in storage at the moment.

I shall have to post the photo later, as I seem to be unable to post any pictures at the moment. Watch this spot!

And here it is with the picture added! I decided on the flowers and plants I wanted - fuchsias, sweetpeas, tulips, Wedding Day rambling rose, antirrhinums (excuse the spelling), lavender and peonies. The crayon like background was done by using some oil type fabric paints - maybe in future if I try again, I will try using Markal Shiva paintsticks, or even some of the setacolour fabric paints I have. It may work using Angelina fabric - that would add a very different effect. The person leading the course said that watercolour pencils could be used - so that would give me a chance to use the Caran D'ache pencils - if only I knew where they were!

Watch out for the next post!

No comments: