Thursday 20 November 2008

Musical Blues


Yes, another post! I thought that I would add another edition - and show you another entry that I made, for a different competition. This quilt is called Musical Blues - it was made for a competition of the same name - for the Spring Quilt festival. By entering the competition, I got a ticket to the show as well - and we attended it at Westpoint, Exeter. Keith and I went along, and I didn't get a prize, but at least my work was shown! I had decided a couple of years ago that I was going to make a quilt using musical fabrics. The problem was the pattern. I doodled during a meeting, and came up with an idea. I decided to use colours and bias binding / satin ribbon to show certain symbols. You can see the piano keys, and next to it is a block to show the sharp symbol. Next to that is a block showing 2/4 time. Under that I have tried to show bars, with an angelina fibres to show a crotchet rest. On the very left is a block to show 2/2 time - the triangles. Under that is a block - 5/4 time, and then a natural sign. The block next to it shows crescendo and diminuendo signs - interlocked. At right angles to that is a stave with an angelina treble clef, and a double sharp sign. The bottom row shows wavy stave with a quaver, and my attempt at a bass clef sign. Next to that is a block with 3 colours - to show 3/8 times.
I quilted it using free motion quilting, and quilting the names of different colours of blue together with names of dance rhythms. I also quilted musical terms into the piece as well. I used sequins to dot the 'i's in the piece. The name of the challenge was 'Rhythm and Blues'.

No comments: