Friday 10 September 2010

Dolls and quilts!

I've been busy at school this week, but this evening I've really taken an evening off. I've been working all week - in the evenings, and haven't been in my sewing room at all. However - I made the most of the summer holidays by doing lots and lots - and last week I managed to finish something else. Last weekend, Dad and Liz came to visit, and saw our mansion for the first time. I was able to finish Dad's quilt in time for him to take it away. I was really pleased with how it turned out!
This photo shows Dad looking at the quilt, having taken it out from it's covering. I made it as a quillow - so that he can have it as a cushion, or have it as a quilt. He looks quite impressed with it in this photo - and loved looking at all the different aspects of the quilt. I saw the quilt kit advertised on the Lady Sew and Sew website; I contacted the makower website for their pattern, and they sent it to me. The quilt in the pattern is smaller than the one I made - that is to say - I made it bigger.

I used fleece as a backing, it has made the quilt quite cosy - it was quite warm attaching the binding. The picture on the right shows the quilt as a whole; the design was appropriate for Dad, and the pattern was quite easy to follow. The quilting was done on the sewing machine, without using the quilting frame. I tried to make the quilting echo the patterns in the quilt, and also to show the movement / shape of waves, clouds, and wind moving through the dunes.

It was lovely to get the quilt finished in time for Dad to take it with him. I don't know what the protocol is for hospitals these days, but it will certainly be useful during recuperation. I was pleased with the quilting, and it was easy to do once I put my mind to it. As soon as I had decided on the pattern, I was able to quilt it - sometimes drawing the pattern first was necessary, so that I didn't make a mistake. I think that the adaptation of the pattern has been successful.

This weekend I shall make more effort to get into my room, and get on with more projects. Look out for the next post in the blog where I shall (at least I intend to) show the rag dolls I made.

2 comments:

Kath said...

What an achievement Christine, well done. You can see from Dads face that he is delighted. To receive a gift like that, pieced with love, would make him feel very special and loved. I hope all goes well for his hospital stay and his recovery afterwards.
Looking forward to seeing your dolls next.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine,
Kath thought I'd enjoy coming to your blog to read your posts - some people are so busy with Quilting and Making I don't know how they manage to do anything else in their lives!!
I shall be 78 in a couple of weeks and have slowed considerably in the last 3 or 4 years - what took 'not much time' a few years ago now takes m-u-c-h longer and that's after I've made the effort to start!
I've never done any machine quilting but keep promising myself that I will and even have a 'sandwich' ready to have a go on, one day 'soon'.
I got a 1st with the scrap quilt I entered into a village competition, which I Mennonite Tacked for quickness. you say - quilting on the sewing machine without using the quilting frame - do you mean you use a frame for handquilting, like I do or is there some magic frame to use with the machine?? Kath told me about spray glue or that would have passed me by, too!! Do I guess your Dad was something to do with the sea???
Can't wait to see your rag dolls..have you ever made an Upsy Downsy doll where one end is an awake face and the other end is sleeping???
My blog is www. greatgrandmashotchpotch.blogspot.com - I think!!
Sylve.